Oracle 11gR2 vs 10gR2 installation on Linux RHEL 5/OEL 5
In the last weeks I was involved in a series of Oracle database 10gR2 and 11gR2 server installations on Linux RHEL 5/OEL 5 (x86_64).
Below I will give a quick comparison of the new installation features of Oracle 11gR2 Server to Oracle10gR2.
Linux RHEL 5/OEL 5 (x86_64) requirements
– Newer Linux Kernel 2.6.18-92 required
– Additional Linux Components and RPMs should be installed
– A few Linux kernel parameters need to be adjusted
Oracle Universal Installer ( OUI ) 11gR2
– 11gR2 GUI interface of OUI is simplified. It’s more presentable, advanced and straight forward.
– The Oracle 10g old-fashioned installation file .cpio replaced by 2 zip files in Oracle 11gR2.
– OUI 11gR2 does not require –ignoreSysPrereqs option to be installed on RHEL 5/OEL 5 compared to Oracle 10gR2
– You can enable Oracle Configuration Manager in OUI during Oracle 11gR2 installation.
– There is no longer a Custom installation type where you could choose individual components to install in Oracle 10gR2. Instead, you can select just basic components to install in Enterprise Edition. Additionally, there is a new Standard Edition One available to install. It’s meant for Desktop and Single Instance installations only.
– Default suggested ORACLE_HOME is slightly changed to …/dbhome_1 instead of …/db_1 in Oracle 10gR2.
– Nice thing regarding Oracle 11gR2 is that you do not need to patch it at the moment compared to base version Oracle 10gR2.
– Installation execution progress of the new OUI is more presentable.
– Installation log files now have new location in $ORACLE_BASE/cfgtoollogs/dbca
– Brand new directories below:
$ORACLE_BASE/diag (Automatic Diagnostic Repository) = [ diagnostic_dest = /opt/oracle/FPLMP ]
Oracle 11gR2 Database Configuration Assistant ( DBCA ) – database creation
– There is the option in DBCA to disable Automatic Maintenance Tasks like Optimizer Statistics Collection, Automatic Segment Advisor and etc.
– Initial system user passwords are checked against the Oracle recommended password complexity policy.
– There is no longer a Raw Devices storage mechanism to choose for a database
– 11gR2 DBCA can install new database components like Oracle Application Express and Oracle Warehouse Builder
– Automatic Memory Management consist of SGA + PGA in 11g
– A new DBCA step is available with automatic Registering the Database with Oracle Restart service
Oracle 11gR2 Net Manager ( netmgr )
The Logging and Tracing tab gives the ability to enable a new Oracle 11g Automatic Diagnostic Repository (ADR) feature.
Your ADR Base Directory = $ORACLE_BASE.
… to be continued