Oracle Openworld 2019 Major Technology Announcements
Below are major technology announcements or highlights that came from the Oracle OpenWorld conference 2019. Most of them are round Oracle Cloud (OCI), Oracle Autonomous database, Exadata and Linux
Redwood – New User Experience Design
If you navigate to www.oracle.com or cloud.oracle.com you see the new Oracle look & feel called „Redwood“. In future all Oracle Presence will follow this new Modern UX Design, including GUI of Cloud & On-Premises.
Connectivity between OCI & Azur Cloud
Oracle announces close partnership with Microsoft in the area of Oracle Cloud Infrastructure & Microsoft Azure by introducing High Speed Interconnect between OCI & Azur Clouds:
• Available Ashburn (Virginia. US) & London
• Coming Soon: US West, Government. Asia, and Europe regions
• Built-in redundant 10-Gbps physical connections between the clouds
• Direct interconnection must be enabled from each provider’s console as one-time setup
Microsoft SQL Server on OCI
• Support for Microsoft SQL 2016 Enterprise and Standard Editions
• Supported OS Platform — Windows 2016
• Microsoft SQL License provided by OCI
• Images Available on OCI Marketplace
• Coming Soon: Windows Server 2019. SQL Server 2014
Partnership with VMWare
VMWare is supported to run on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) as combination of Oracle high performance infrastructure and customer managed VMWare components. As a part of this partnership, Oracle will also provide technical support for Oracle software running in VMware environments both in customer on-premise data centers and Oracle-certified cloud environments.
Oracle Autonomous Linux
Oracle Linux goes autonomous, installing, configuring, tuning, repairing, patching, upgrading, securing etc. will be fully automated. Additionally Oracle will provide a OS Management Service for Autonomous Linux, Linux and Windows who helps to keep the control and transparency over management tasks like Patching, Packaging, Compliance, Configuration and Security. It should be included in Oracle Cloud as a free product.
Enhancements for Oracle Cloud Marketplace
The Maketplace gets First Level Support for all offered Services and the billing should be move into Universal Credit/PAYG model.
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Free Tier
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) offers a bunch of free tier services. These services (like Compute, Autonomous DB, Loadbalancer, Block Storage, Object Storage etc.) are fully long life free. They are marked as free tier in OCI Console. Anybody can use these free unlimited service for new or already existing accounts, also for enterprise accounts. As long as you use the service, it will never expire:
- Your choice of Autonomous Transaction Processing or Autonomous Data Warehouse. 2 databases total, each with 1 OCPU and 20 GB storage.
- 2 virtual machines with 1/8 OCPU and 1 GB memory each.
- 2 Block Volumes, 100 GB total. 10 GB Object Storage. 10 GB Archive Storage.
- Load Balancing(1 Instance 10 Mbps bandwidth), Monitoring, Notification(1,000 emails sent per month) , Outbound Data Transfer 10 TB per month.
New version of Exadata with a non Infiniband Bus version and an Infiniband Version, with optimized hardware and software to support OLTP, Warehouse and Migration scenarios
Autonomous DB Option at Exadata Cloud@Customer
• This announcement enables the „on-Premise“ Exadata Cloud@Customer to use Autonomous DB Services
• Expected Availability: mid-2020
In case I missed something important from the OpenWorld announcements, please add in the comments
Worldwide Regional Expansion
Oracle offers its Cloud services in 16 Regions now. The company states to have 36 Regions at the end of 2020 which is more than AWS has now.