The new database patching for Oracle 12cR2 (12.2) and above using new RUs and RURs patches replaces the old patching concept. Means, the legacy terms and patches Patchset, Patchset Update (PSU), Database Bundle Patch, Critical Patch Update (CPU) will no longer be meaningful for 12.2 database software. The new patches will be applied in the same way using opatch utility with ability using RAC Rolling or Data Guard/GG switchover techniques.
The major points about the new patching concept are below:
New quarterly Release Update (RUs)
– More aggressive patching for test / dev and early production roll-outs -> more testing required
– Released quarterly (Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct)
– Proactive, highly tested bundles of critical fixes
– Include all security fixes for the same quarterly cycle
– Enable customers to avoid known issues.
– Might contain small, important new features
– Query optimizer fixes that can change execution plans might be included but must be enabled manually by the customer after patching.
– Separate Database RU, Grid Infrastructure RU, and OJVM RU available
New quarterly Release Update Revisions (RURs)
– A bit similar to former PSUs
– Less aggressive pathing for stable production environments -> less testing required
– Released quarterly (Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct) Read more »